Lauren Gustin’s double-double leads BYU past Pepperdine in WCC tourney

Lauren Gustin scored 23 points and grabbed 18 rebounds to lead BYU past Pepperdine, 74-59, in West Coast Conference tournament play Friday.

“Credit my teammates for giving me the ball and having faith and confidence in me down there,” said Gustin, who went 10-for-18 from the floor. “They put me in a lot of good positions.”

Cougars guard Nani Falatea scored 23 points of her own to go along with seven assists. Arielle Mackey-Williams had 13 points, four rebounds and four assists.

BYU led 16-10 after the first quarter and used a 24-13 third-quarter effort to put the game away.

“We played good, but I don’t think it’s the best we’ve played,” coach Amber Whiting said. “I’ve seen them play better before. … But they’re coming together at the right time and they’re learning about each other and they’re buying into the defensive game plans that we’re setting forth.”

The Cougars next face No. 4 San Francisco Friday afternoon in Las Vegas. Tipoff is scheduled for 1 p.m. The game will be broadcast on BYUtv.



from The Salt Lake Tribune https://ift.tt/g7jYHS4

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post