HBTJ newsletter: Jazz’s summer league invitees are enjoying their Utah experience

Even if the basketball played is sometimes less than compelling, summer league hoops nevertheless typically has some level of intrigue just for the opportunity to interact with players you likely will never cross paths with again.

It’s a bit different for, say, Oklahoma City Thunder beat writers, who have a summer team that could very well feature eight or nine players who make the regular-season NBA roster, including No. 2 overall pick Chet Holmgren. The Jazz team that competed in the Salt Lake City Summer League, on the other hand, probably will only see Jared Butler getting anything resembling consistent minutes.

I don’t imagine Tacko Fall will be on a Jazz roster past the upcoming Vegas games. Same for Jordan Usher (though he, at least, perhaps could be a Stars player, maybe even a two-way guy at some point). But it was still fun picking their brains in interviews this week.

Interestingly, both said they were enjoying their time in Utah for a very specific reason that many a Utahn probably takes for granted at this point.

“I like the location. I like how spacious it is — everything is so spacious,” Tacko said. “I have my brother with me right now; he likes it as well. We went to the zoo yesterday! And I like the mountains. I like mountains. It’s nice!”

Jordan, a self-described country boy from Georgia, was even more impressed, which he expressed in his rapid-fire, motormouth style.

“I like the energy and I like the feel around Utah! Even, honestly, when I flew in here [and saw] the mountains, I felt a little different. I’ve never seen mountains in my life!” he said. “Just being out here, the altitude is higher, it’s hard to breathe — just a little adversity; you’ve got to be different to come out here! I take pride in that blue-collar business about myself, so I thought Utah would be a good fit.”

He’s hoping he gets a chance to stick around in some capacity, because there’s a whole list of outdoorsy stuff he’d like to experience, but hasn’t had the chance.

“I haven’t got to go hiking yet ’cause I’ve been in the gym a whole bunch, but everybody says, ‘You can go kayaking, hiking,’ so this is the spot for me!” Jordan added. “I’m a country boy. I like to fish. I want to see the Salt Flats, I want to see a bunch of stuff! But right now, I’ve just been in the hotel rook resting, watching film.”

Jordan Usher, Part 2

It’s no secret that reporters love Jordan Usher for his honest, upbeat, cliché-free, high-energy assessments of his own game and his team’s performance, but the guy’s playing style (did I mention high energy?) endeared him to the crowds at Vivint Arena these past few nights.

In the opener vs. OKC, he fed an open teammate in the corner for a 3 and celebrated the bucket and assist like he’d just won the championship. After another good play, as he was running back downcourt and passed ref Suyash Mehta, he gave him a surreptitious low-five. And when he picked up a ball-handler in the backcourt, harangued him for a bit, poked the ball away and forced an eight-second violation, he exulted again and exhorted the crowd to get fired up.

I asked him afterward if he is always so exuberant when he plays.

“Yeah, for sure. I’m a blue-collar dude, I’m from Canton, Georgia, I had to get it out from the dirt from the beginning,” he said. “… I like to pick up the ball high, so it’s fun! They’re letting me go on defense, letting me run around and get some energy, so as long as I can do that, I’m having a great time.” Asked if every team needs an “energy guy,” he advocated for himself: “Hey, if you ask me, I think it’s essential! Every team needs two or three of ’em!”

A few minutes later, I asked Jared Butler if Jordan Usher was always that on. He laughed and replied, “I think so, yeah!” Jared added that Jordan is the type of teammate you love to have: “He’s a character, somebody that brings energy. Just somebody that you want on your team and you would go in a foxhole with.”

One last thing …

If you’re curious about new Jazz head coach Will Hardy and haven’t read my profile on him yet, you should (if I do say so myself)! I talked to coaches, former teammates, and colleagues to try and get a sense of what he’s like and how he got to be who and what he is.



from The Salt Lake Tribune https://ift.tt/Ww9Vvdo

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post